Workshop and Talk at Massachusetts Art and Design Department, Lowell (5th of February):
Workshop introduce Marta de Menezes work and these techniques:
- DRAW with pigment-degrading bacteria. We will use a harmless laboratory developed bacteria (Pseudomonas Putida) to grow living and transforming images that disappear and reappear over time.
- EXPLORE Issues of bioremediation, ecosystem balance and disruption.
- WORK with edible paper, wool, and plants.
- EXPLORE the limits of agarose preparation.
2. Workshop at York University AMPD in Transmedia Lab (12th of February):
Workshop will consist of a small and intense experimental session in microbiology and drawing that will give raise to discussions on the artistic, aesthetic and ethical issues raised by the art and the science involved. The handling of living bacteria and laboratory materials will provoke a reflection on the theoretical issues involved which will reflect back onto the theme discussed in the talk related to the current diversity of artistic discourses centred on biological sciences.
3. Imortality workshop at Concordia University with Tagny Duff (16th of February):
4. Workshop at Video Pool studio (22nd, 23rd, 24th of February):
Workshop aims to explore the multiple possibilities of artistic approaches that can be developed in relation to Art and Microbiology in a DIY situation. A special emphasis will be placed on the development of collaborative art and microbiology projects where the artist has to learn some biological research skills in order to create the artwork. The course will consist of a series of intense experimental sessions that will give raise to discussions on the artistic, aesthetic and ethical issues raised by the art and the science involved. Handling these materials and organisms will provoke a reflection on the theoretical issues involved and the course will provide background information on the current diversity of artistic discourses centred on biological sciences, as well a forum for debate.
5. Workshop with Adam Zaretsky at Media Lab Mit (29th of February):
Adam makes microsushi and feeds to Marta’s tetrahymena, aquatic organisms with seven different genders. Execution-style beauty pageant follows.